Tuesday, June 25, 2013

To Water or Not To Water

This is the annoying thing.  The weather forecasters say "Oh, it's going to rain!"  So I wait...and wait...and wait...nope. No rain.  Now it's dark and late and I'm tired and don't want to haul the hose around.

I'm not one of those who jumps on forecasters for every erroneous forecast.  If people were honest, they'd realize that they are fairly accurate.  And I'm pretty sure it rained somewhere in the viewing area even if it wasn't over my back 40 feet.  Either way, there was no watering from me today, and I hope there's rain tonight or tomorrow.  I have this sneaking suspicion that if I water, it will rain.  I don't think that's a bad thing.  The beds seem to be draining well, so I am not worried about flooding.

There is of course some larger lesson here, about doing what one should do regardless of the promise of a gift from the heavens.  People who pray for work but don't put in applications would seem to be an analogy. So in the gardening-as-life-lesson realm, point taken.  Procrastinating because something might happen to make the task unnecessary or easier, when in actually it's just getting harder by waiting is a long standing failing of mine.  Now I get it from the garden too.  One day, that lesson will take.  But not today obvious.  Maybe tomorrow.

I was gifted with some new tomato plants to replace the dying ones, and then also some cabbage and muskmelon.  I will need to probably finish the pallets, throw some dirt in them and see what happens.  Everything that isn't the tomatoes seems to be doing well, and I've gotten about four to eight raspberries every morning, although the promise of more to come.  Herbs are drying; the mint seems to have gone faster, so I can take that off, store it somehow, and then hang more.

And water tomorrow....

2 comments:

  1. Water tomatoes in the early morning. The leaves hold water and can rot. So you really want the sun to help that evaporate. You know, because I care. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...about doing what one should do regardless of the promise of a gift from the heavens." Um, yeah. And, I think it is your own true love (yes, I mean Jim) who says: just do it. Of course, I, too, rebel against that particular injunction on a pseudo-regular basis... :D

    ReplyDelete