Friday, January 24, 2014

Update on Mom-in-Law and more Winter Garden Dreaming

I suppose, as I am sitting here bemoaning the briefest January thaw ever and wondering how hard Mother Nature is laughing at me about my last 'woohoo Imbolc' post, I should do an update on Janet.

(It also occurs to me, I should have pseudonymed her at some point, but it's too late now...)

She's actually still doing fairly well, all things considered.  She knows her name, knows our names, takes care of breakfast, lunch, and dinner as needed.  She does her laundry, she cleans her room and bathroom.  She can still bathe and basically take care of herself.  We did get her a chair for the shower and a hand held shower head to make it easier on her.  There were a couple of other minor adjustments to living arrangements that I can't remember right now.

She does look to us a bit more for validation.  She will ask to verify the date and day of the week, and nine times out of ten, she is right.  She gets numbers more and more confused in her speech, and possibly in her mind as well.  There have been some near misses involving money.  She misplaces things, and typically I find them for her, usually very quickly.  They just aren't in the first place she looks so she gets mad at herself and just stops looking.  She blames it on her age.  Of course, she laughed the other day when it took me twenty minutes to find my coffee cup.

J:  "Oh, you do that too?"
L:  "Yes...at least three times a day."
J:  "Well, I don't feel so bad, then."

We've taken over helping her to pay her bills, largely because she has cataracts and a hard time seeing.  Those are getting taken care of in March.  The larger issue though is at night, she has gotten very confused over her evening insulin shot.  It's been the same number of units for, well, ever.  However lately we have to help her set the number on the insulin pen, and even one day had to explain to her how the pen is used.  She hasn't had this problem (she says) for her post-meal shots, though.  It's very concerning, as we can't be there during the day to monitor it or help her out if she gets confused.

It would be hard for someone with cataracts to see the numbers on, so we are hopeful that the cataract surgeries will fix it.  If it doesn't, it is shocking how quickly it came on.  One day everything was fine, the next it wasn't.  It makes me wonder what will be next, and if we'll be home to help, or even recognize it when it does.

BUT, we had good holidays I think.  We splurged and bought an upright freezer for the garage.  Janet paid half (at her insistence).  It's large and beautiful and we can see everything in it.  The crappy old chest freezer is dead in the garage.  It had a good life.

Already I am thinking about all the things I can put in it this harvest.  Last year I didn't care too much about yield for freezing because where would we put it?  Now, however, we can put it in the big gloriousness in my garage.

AND...gentle reader, if you have made it this far, I am the proud owner of a PRESSURE CANNER! Thanks to mom and dad for Giftmas.  I'm ever more excited for spring to get here so that planting can happen, then growing, then harvesting and preserving!

In sum: Everyone's hanging in and waiting for spring.

4 comments:

  1. It's weird when your parents seem to suddenly become old. When you were young, they could do anything and were indestructible. My folks have all aged a lot in a seemingly short time. It is hard to see sometimes, but I am happy to help when I can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is easier for me, because she's not my mom. Jim has a harder time, and I imagine if the shoe were on the other foot, it'd be easier for him to deal with my parents than for me.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see it in my mom, step-dad and dad (which in a way is worse because I only see him once a year at best). Reminds me that one day I will be in their shoes.

    ReplyDelete